Whether you’re a college professional or a prospective student, learn here about pioneering encore programs across the country at major universities, community colleges and specialized schools – both online and on campus.
The Encore College Initiative encourages colleges to create and promote educational pathways to encore careers. The project invests in innovation and encourages colleges and social sector employers to work together to unleash the potential of boomers as a new workforce for social change.
- Find out more about the Encore College Initiative
- Check out innovative encore program models
- Read case studies about encore colleges
- Learn about people who retrained for encore careers
- Visit the Encore College Resource Library
- Contact us for more information about the Encore College Initiative
The Encore Alumni Toolkit: Are you enthusiastic about helping the millions of people eager to pursue encore careers – work that combines purpose, passion and a paycheck after midlife? Do you want to spread the word about the ways encore work can effect social change and make a difference in people’s lives? If so, the toolkit will help you organize an encore event for your college or university.
- Find out more about what's in the Encore Alumni Toolkit.
- Click here to learn about the Encore Career Handbook.
ENCORE PROGRAM MODELS ACROSS THE COUNTRY
Check out these programs to help individuals find, prepare for, and transition to encore careers:
- Pace University offers the Encore Transition Program, a five-session program that helps professionals move into their encore careers. More >
- Portland Community College uses peer mentors to help older gerontology students survive the classroom. More >
- Virginia Community College System offers a hybrid online and in-person program that allows people with busy schedules to become teachers in a year. More >
- Harvard University Advanced Leadership Initiative is a 10-month program combines Harvard classes, special forums, and the chance to develop an entrepreneurial project aimed at solving a pressing social problems. More >
- University of Connecticut offers training to help corporate professionals transition into the nonprofit sector through its Encore!Hartford program. More >
- Evolve: Re-ignite Self & Community is an eight-week course offered at community colleges in Minnesota, Washington, and Colorado that strengthens leadership skills and connects boomers to people who share their passions to make positive change. More >
- The University of the Pacific offers an online social entrepreneurship certificate program that can be completed in six months. More >
To learn details of these and other programs, check out the links above and encore college case studies.
ENCORE STUDENTS AND HIGHER ED IN THE NEWS
HARVARD EQUIPS LEADERS FOR ENCORES
ABOUT OUR FUNDERS
The Encore College Initiative has had the support of private foundations that believe in the power of higher education to help people prepare for encore careers. More >