Whether you’re a college professional or a prospective student, learn here about pioneering encore programs across the country at major universities, community colleges and specialized schools – both online and on campus.
The Encore College Initiative encourages colleges to create and promote educational pathways to encore careers. The project invests in innovation and encourages colleges and social sector employers to work together to unleash the potential of boomers as a new workforce for social change.
- Find out more about the Encore College Initiative
- Check out innovative encore program models
- Read case studies about encore colleges
- Learn about people who retrained for encore careers
- Visit the Encore College Resource Library
- Contact us for more information about the Encore College Initiative
NEW The Encore Alumni Toolkit: Are you enthusiastic about helping the millions of people eager to pursue encore careers – work that combines purpose, passion and a paycheck after midlife? Do you want to spread the word about the ways encore work can effect social change and make a difference in people’s lives? If so, the toolkit will help you organize an encore event for your college or university.
- Find out more about what's in the Encore Alumni Toolkit.
- Click here to learn about the Encore Career Handbook.
ENCORE PROGRAM MODELS ACROSS THE COUNTRY
Check out these programs to help individuals find, prepare for, and transition to encore careers:
- Portland Community College uses peer mentors to help older gerontology students survive the classroom. More >
- Virginia Community College System offers a hybrid online and in-person program that allows people with busy schedules to become teachers in a year. More >
- GateWay Community College in Arizona works with local health care employers to design programs that fit their job needs. More >
- Harvard University Advanced Leadership Initiative is a 10-month program combines Harvard classes, special forums, and the chance to develop an entrepreneurial project aimed at solving a pressing social problems. More >
- UCLA Extension is partnering with investors to create the Encore Career Institute to offer certificates in fields such as early childhood education, drug and alcohol counseling, and health care management and leadership. More >
- University of Connecticut offers training to help corporate professionals transition into the nonprofit sector through its Encore!Hartford program. More >
- Evolve: Re-ignite Self & Community is an eight-week course offered at community colleges in Minnesota, Washington, and Colorado that strengthens leadership skills and connects boomers to people who share their passions to make positive change. More >
- The University of the Pacific offers an online social entrepreneurship certificate program that can be completed in six months. More >
- Lane Community College offers a variety of courses to help people move into encore careers in allied health. More >
To learn details of these and other programs, check out the links above and encore college case studies.
ENCORE STUDENTS AND HIGHER ED IN THE NEWS
The New York Times
Adults Are Flocking to College That Paved Way for Flexibility
U.S. News & World Report
Second Acts: Turning Your Passion Into a Paycheck
Huff Post 50
Mark Noonan: A Life Tragedy Became His Wakeup Call
How to Launch an Encore Career
HARVARD EQUIPS LEADERS FOR ENCORES
ABOUT OUR FUNDERS
The Encore College Initiative has had the support of private foundations that believe in the power of higher education to help people prepare for encore careers. More >