Many nonprofit organizations face talent shortages and want to hire experienced workers. This new survey of nonprofit employers, sponsored by MetLife Foundation and Encore.org (formerly Civic Ventures), found that seven out of 10 nonprofit employers rated the experience that encore workers bring to the job as a significant benefit.
And nonprofits with experience in hiring late-career or recently retired workers were the most positive about hiring more. However, some of the 427 nonprofit employers surveyed expressed concerns about entering this uncharted territory.
Forward by Marc Freedman
Essay by Phyllis N. Segal
Commentaries on the Survey
- Claire Altman and Jess Geevarghese, ReServe Elder Service, Inc
PDF (2 pages, 48 KB)
- Marcie Pitt-Catsouphes, Boston College
PDF (2 pages, 64 KB)
- Tom Tierney, The Bridgespan Group
PDF (2 pages, 58 KB)
- Diana Wells, Ashoka
PDF (2 pages, 55 KB)
Graphs available for download:
To download the graphs:
- Right-click (PC) or Ctrl+Click (Mac) on the graph
- Select "Save Image As..."
- Select the directory on your hard drive where you'd like to save the graph
- Click "Save"
For full survey text, see attached PDFs.