Posted 01/12/2011 - 05:00:29pm by Terry Nagel
Forbes.com blogger Kerry Hannon zeroes in on five job-searching strategies for older individuals seeking employment, courtesy of Maggie Mistal, career coach and Sirius XM radio host.
"Mistal has heard enough corporate castaway tales from her clientele and radio-call-ins to know that soul searching is the first step to making a successful career transition today, and a job search requires more," writes Hannon, a personal finance journalist who focuses on career transition and retirement issues.
Mistal's top tips are:
- Broaden your search beyond identified jobs.
- Approach the interview like you're a highly paid consultant, identifying ways you can provide value.
- Don't dwell on negatives. Project a positive image.
- Ask people who know you well to list your best skills and talents so you can accentuate them.
- Keep active and keep your skills current.
For details, read Hannon's blog post here.