START OR SPONSOR AN ENCORE FELLOWSHIPS PROGRAM
We created the Encore Fellowships Network in order to make it as easy as possible for you to start, sponsor or operate an effective Encore Fellowships program in your community or organization. We are committed to providing you with information, tools and connections that will make the design, launch and operation of your Encore Fellowships program as simple and efficient as possible.
Three conditions are essential prerequisites to implement a high-impact Encore Fellowships program:
- Clear purpose. You have a clear purpose for the program
that is aligned with the mission of your organization.
- Committed leadership. The proposed program has committed
leadership and partner organizations.
- Sustainable funding. You are able to put in place a
sustainable funding model for stipends and program administration.
Download our Encore Fellowships Program Creation Guide here.
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS TO PROGRAM SPONSORS?
Encore Fellowships program sponsors are realizing a variety of benefits:
- Community engagement. Corporations and foundations have long been important supporters of community-based nonprofits. Encore Fellowships provide a unique new opportunity for grantors to provide direct, high-leverage assistance to the organizations they support.
- Employee/member engagement. Encore Fellowships can be an attractive option for people transitioning from midlife careers to encore careers. A fellowship option can fit well with other programs such as early retirement, volunteerism or career transition services.
- Market engagement. Most leading corporations have found ways to leverage their social responsibility efforts with their core business mission. Encore Fellowships allow companies to target specific sectors that will be most relevant to their customers such as education, health care, environment, arts and culture or even the baby boomer market itself.
HOW CAN I START AN ENCORE FELLOWSHIPS PROGRAM?
We have created a simple set of resources to help organizations design, organize and operate Encore Fellowships programs of their own. The attached Program Creation Guide will help you define and create a work plan for a new Encore Fellowships program.
The guide will help you:
- Define the program
- Create a resource plan
- Create a funding plan
- Create a project plan
Additional tools and resources referenced in the Guide can be found in our Programs Community wiki. To join our Programs Community, please contact us using the form provided.
|Program Creation Guide.pdf||477.1 KB|
WHAT SORT OF WORK DO ENCORE FELLOWS DO?
Encore Fellows bring a wide variety of highly transferable skills that can have a huge impact in the organizations that host them. Typical functional backgrounds for fellows and the project areas they relate to include:
- Marketing/communications, brand management, messaging and public relations
- Information technology, most aspects of hardware, software and cloud computing technology planning, implementation and maintenance
- Human resources policies, systems and structures, staff development and coaching
- Legal issues, such as structure, contracts, tax, employment and intellectual property
- Financial management, including accounting, business processes, budgeting, forecasting, and cost modeling
- Sales/business development, policies and strategies, fundraising initiatives and target donor identification
- Strategic planning, scaling initiatives, partnerships, deployment and board recruitment
- Operations and performance management planning, coordination and analysis
- Project/program management for change initiatives, a new venture or expansion
- Technical specialists in specific skill areas such as engineering and statistics
MEET A SPONSOR: CAROL LARSON OF THE PACKARD FOUNDATION
CASE STUDY: THE ENCORE FELLOWSHIPS NETWORK
A new case study examines Civic Ventures’ experience expanding its Encore Fellows program quickly and efficiently. More >