Posted 06/01/2007 - 07:07:00am by David Bank
*The Encore Career*
* Encore careers combine personal fulfillment, social contribution and financial security.
* Encore careers put a lifetime of skills and experience to work meeting our greatest challenges.
* Encore careers provide badly needed talent in education, health care and the nonprofit sector.
* Encore careers help to transform the aging of America from a devastating economic liability into a powerful social asset.
*The Encore Vision*
In the not-distant future...
...the change from traditional retirement to encore careers unleashes a generation’s energy to pursue their life dreams. Tens of millions of baby boomers in their 50s and 60s reorder their priorities and renegotiate their work lives.
...the creation of attractive encore opportunities, effective encore pathways and innovative encore arrangements enables growing numbers to fulfill their passion for helping others, getting involved, building communities or changing the world.
...an encore career of purpose and passion becomes a widespread social expectation. Businesses and organizations seize the huge encore opportunity to create new jobs, products and services. Policymakers craft incentives for encore engagement and contribution --and stave off fiscal ruin as well.
...energized, talented, and passionate people use their encores to transform education, health care and communities across the country. The scarcity of human attention gives way to an abundance of human capital and social innovation. After a rousing encore, we leave our children and grandchildren a better world.
The Encore Campaign
The encore campaign is sponsored by Civic Ventures, a think tank and catalyst helping society achieve the greatest return on experience. Civic Ventures is building support for the encore career through initiatives such as:
* Experience Corps – Engaging adults over 55 as tutors and mentors in urban public schools in 19 cities.
* The Purpose Prize – Celebrating social innovators 60 who are finding new ways to meet society’s biggest challenges.
* The BreakThrough Awards – Highlighting organizations that are tapping the experience and talent of those over 50 to improve society.
* The Community College Encore Career Program – Investing in community colleges that enable encore careers in education, health care and social services.
* The Next Chapter – Helping people in the second half of life set a course, connect with peers, and find pathways to significant service.
* Encore.org – Providing news, networks and resources for individuals and organizations seeking to establish encore careers -- including their own.