Location: The Presidio of San Francisco, California - CA
Posted by: Encore.org
Type of organization: Nonprofit
Last updated: February 18, 2014
The Vice President of Finance and Operations will report to the President and will supervise two existing positions, Staff Accountant and Administrative Manager. The position is full-time and will be replacing an executive who is electing to leave following a long and successful tenure. The departing executive will be an active partner in providing training and ensuring a productive transition.
The person hired for this position will be expected to do the work within an environment that values mutual respect, rapid response to changing conditions or new opportunities, flexibility and intelligence, as well as a sense of humor and humility.
The role offers the chance to combine passion with pragmatism, intellectual curiosity with outstanding organizational and technical skills, and the opportunity to be part of a social movement to establish a completely new way of thinking about what constitutes success in the second half of life.
Encore.org maintains a business office in The Presidio of San Francisco, where this position is based, and also supports employees and key consultants in several US locations.
- Analyze and present financial reports in an accurate and timely manner; clearly communicate monthly and annual financial statements; collate financial reporting materials for all donor segments, and oversee all financial, project/program and grants accounting.
- Coordinate the annual audit process, liaise with the external auditor and audit committee; assess any changes necessary.
- Oversee and lead annual budgeting and planning process in conjunction with the President; administer and review all financial plans and budgets; monitor progress and changes and keep senior leadership team abreast of the organization’s financial status.
- Manage organizational cash flow and forecasting.
- Manage and regularly evaluate a robust contracts management and financial management/reporting system; ensure that the contract billing and collection schedule is adhered to and that financial data and cash flow are steady and support operational requirements.
- Update, create and implement all necessary business policies and accounting practices; improve the finance department’s overall policy and procedure manual.
- Effectively communicate and present the critical financial matters to the management team and the board of directors.
- Manage, regularly audit, and improve as necessary the organization’s internal control environment.
Legal and Risk Management
- Regularly assess risk in response to financial and operational transactions and commitments. In partnership with the CEO, President, and the Board, manage and further develop the organization’s risk management policies and responses.
- Liaise with legal counsel on contract, IP, labor, ERISA, and other pertinent legal matters.
- Ensure organizational compliance with all local, state, and federal regulations.
- In partnership with the President, further develop the organization’s approach to talent management and administration, enhancing professional development, compensation and benefits, performance management, training and recruiting.
- Ensure proper establishment, communication, and management of employee benefits.
- Ensure that recruiting and onboarding processes are consistent and streamlined.
Technology and Administration
- Establish and manage a comprehensive set of hardware, software, and cloud-based tools supporting an expanding virtual workforce.
- Establish and manage a comprehensive training program to educate employees regarding the technology tools, policies and procedures.
- Work closely and transparently with all external partners including third-party vendors and consultants.
- Oversee administrative functions as well as facilities to ensure efficient and consistent operations as the organization scales.
- Conduct regular audits of policies and procedures.
While no candidate embodies every desired quality, the ideal person for this position will offer most of the skills and experiences listed below. Besides the listed attributes, we seek an individual who balances the strategic with the technical in a way that will help catalyze a scaling organization; considers emerging and urgent questions in light of best practices and the organization's highest values; and brings a strong commitment to the critical behind-the-scenes infrastructure that enables the organization's other professionals to succeed.
S/he will demonstrate:
- Experience of final responsibility for the quality and content of all financial data, reporting and audit coordination for an organization, a company division, or significant program area, and has preferably overseen a human resources function previously.
- Knowledge of and experience in ensuring compliance with appropriate GAAP standards and regulatory requirements.
- Ability to translate financial concepts to – and to effectively collaborate with – programmatic and fundraising colleagues who do not necessarily have finance backgrounds.
- Knowledge of grant solicitation and recording; a track record in grants management preferred.
- Strong analytical and research ability to systematically gather information and conduct stakeholder interviews that inform process design and development; ability to regularly evaluate efficiency and effectiveness of operational policies and procedures.
- A successful track record in setting priorities; keen analytic, organization and problem solving skills that support and enable sound decision making.
- Proven experience managing a diverse portfolio of responsibilities with competing deadlines and different project supervisors
- Excellent project management abilities, including creating timelines, budgets, and reports.
- Recognition of the value of internal stakeholder customer service, and patience with and commitment to delivering on that philosophy.
- Skilled communicator capable of producing status reports, correspondence, responses to request for information and input, and other documents and electronic communications that clearly communicate to both internal and external audiences.
- Facility for and passion in use of technology to achieve efficiency and effectiveness; expert use of technology, including accounting programs, spreadsheets, word processing, presentation software like PPT, and familiarity and comfort with knowledge management systems and data bases.
- Ability to develop relationships and credibility with external vendors.
- Ability to work independently, manage his/her own work, and self- correct.
- Comfort and experience with managing up, collaborating with peers, and working with colleagues remotely and in different time zones.
- Proven manager of teams who can motivate, develop and oversee finance and operations staff.
- Creative problem-solver and ability to negotiate solutions and reach consensus.
- Avid learner and teacher, capable of balancing confidence and humility.
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and dedication to the mission of the organization.
- Rigorous, almost obsessive, attention to detail.
A college degree is required with a minimum 10-year work experience with increasing operational responsibilities and a proven success record.
HOW TO APPLY
Please send your resume in Word or PDF format along with a cover letter describing your interest in the role, your qualifications, and your salary requirements. Cover letters will be judged as writing samples, and therefore we will not consider any application without one. Send your resume and letter as one document to email@example.com. Name your attachment with the format: Your Last Name “VPFIN” Application. (For instance, Jones VPFIN Application).
No calls please. Principals only. For more information about Encore.org, visit our website at www.encore.org.
It is Encore.org’s policy to employ, compensate and advance personnel without regard to sex, race, color, gender identity, religion, age, national origin, veteran status, physical disability, sexual orientation or marital status.